What qualifications do you need to be a computer programmer? A computer programmer must have a Bachelor Degree in computer science, mathematics, or information systems, as well as the knowledge of the major programming language. However, some people with the right aptitude but the wrong degree have still managed to become highly successful programmers.
How long does it take to become a computer programmer? A bachelor’s degree with significant coursework in computer programming typically takes four years to complete. Completing a certificate program can take months, depending on the pace you work at and your ability to pass the required exams.
What are the steps to become a computer programmer?
- Step 1: Get a High School Education.
- Step 2: Meet Computer Programmer Education Requirements.
- Step 3: Choose a Specialization.
- Step 4: Participate in an Internship.
- Step 5: Consider Adding Certification To Your Computer Programmer Qualifications.
Can I teach myself computer programming? But yes, it is entirely possible that you can be a self-taught programmer. However, it will be a long, tedious process. There’s a saying that it takes roughly 10,000 hours of practice to achieve mastery in a field.